tales from the wayside

I started for telling short stories - then about the home remodel (not happening) - now ... just random outtakes and foolish assumptions.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Thursday, February 02, 2006

I'm dreaming of a brown (post) Christmas

In an effort to clean up after Christmas, I took down our animated angel from the roof, the foldable lighted star from the eaves, and the lights outlining the house. The tree in the front yard is stripped and looks again like a tree and not a parade float. I collapsed the livingroom tree and folded it back into the worn out cardboard box it came in two Christmases ago, and retaped the box closed.

I even took down the Christmas card I had posted on the BLOG.

Of course, you can still view the card (or at lease the Cactus Tree) here, because like all the other decorations, I took it down but haven't yet put it away.

There's a piece of my hallway where gold and tinsel and plastic evergreen wreaths huddle together: an overlooked and forgotten reminder of months of preparation gone in a single day.

We've achieved about 110 days without even a trace of rain and there's none in the forecast anytime soon. The temperature is reaching the 80s and there's a fine coating of dust on everything. The smog is back with a vengeance and trying to imagine that New Years day was barely a month ago and Christmas only a week before that is more than my little mind can handle.

In the meantime, I peruse Cuppa's and AC's BLOGS seeking pictures of ice and snow as a way of trying to convince myself it's still winter - somewhere.

Barely a month ago I heard someone singing about keeping the spirit of Christmas all year long.

I'm keeping it in a corner of the hall, blocking the linen cupboard.

And though I tell myself that the original Christmas (the very first one) was also in a desert, I don't seem to be very convincing.

So, Merry Post-Christmas from the desert.

Please send snow.

Or rain, or ice or steam - I'll take a good fog - I don't care.

Maybe just a glass of water? A damp towel?

Anyone?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cuppa said...

Oh if I could send you some of this rain I would! I wouldn't want dry dusty air in return though, so I guess I will try to appreciate every raindrop we get and not complain.

We were going to set off for Riverwood tomorrow, but a winter storm watch has just been posted - freezing rain will blanket the area tonight and tomorrow, so it looks like we won't be hitting the road just yet. We will stay close to home for the weekend and hope for better weather next week.

Go get a tall glass of ice water and stay cool man!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We can get too much of anything, it seems. I say this as I look out of the window at clouds and drizzle.

9:25 AM  
Blogger karla said...

AC and Cuppa are too cute!

In this part of Canada all of our snow is gone, and I am officially wearing my spring jacket. I'd like to say I sent the snow your way, but somehow, I figure it would have long since evaporated before reaching Arizona.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home