tales from the wayside

I started for telling short stories - then about the home remodel (not happening) - now ... just random outtakes and foolish assumptions.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Reduce heat, simmer until golden brown

It’s September. Sure, it’s still hot, yes, there’s enough humidity in the air to make someone from the Pacific Northwest break into a sweat. Sure, the monsoon storms still rage across the desert throwing bolts of lighting at whatever’s tallest (usually it’s me), but that’s not the point. It’s September.

September is the Friday of summer. September is the promise of fall. The difference between August 31st and September 1st is HUGE. It’s also a holiday.

August 31st was too hot to move, too hot breath. Summer was never going to end, there was never going to be relief and we were all condemned to burn. September 1st was THE END OF SUMMER – even though summer doesn’t actually end until about Halloween. Still, if it’s not actually THE END, you can see it from there.

I started planning for Thanksgiving on Monday. (For those of you tuning in from the great white north, this year it’s November 23rd. I am planting new grass and deciding how I want the yard setup as once again we’ll be picnicking Thanksgiving.

We’re pulling out the fall décor, we’re planning vacations (more later) and slowly – ever so slowly, life is beginning to reassert itself. In Minnesota, when the snows finally gave way and the sun was substantially brighter than a 50 bulb, life began to bloom. Here life starts in the winter and I am holding my breath with anticipation.

I am turning just a little blue, but I’ll make it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Okay, you ignited me today. I was so sick I didn't think anything would get to me today, but I was wrong. Way to go!

9:58 AM  
Blogger karla said...

The great white north is right. Growing up (even more north of where I am now), it wasn't uncommon to have snow on the ground when we went trick or treating at Halloween.

Picnic in November eh? Here we would need a ski doo, winter snowsuit and thermal blankets.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home