tales from the wayside

I started for telling short stories - then about the home remodel (not happening) - now ... just random outtakes and foolish assumptions.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Who wants to be me?

Well:

Having noticed the small discrepancy in the refinance paperwork, I called the mortgage company and they rewrote the paperwork and sent it to me by way of DHL. Who promptly lost it.

I don’t mean to imply that it disappeared in the system in some DHL terminal, I mean the local driver who dropped it off to what he swears was my house and “left it under the mat or the bushes at the front door”.

I have no mat and no bushes. My front door is behind the gate and NOT accessible from the street.

He delivered it on Friday (by the way, an interesting note: DHL does NOT do receipt signatures for home deliveries), I found out Monday morning when I called the mortgage company to see where they were in the paperwork creation.

Monday, I called DHL and was old the door-mat-bushes thing. Yesterday I called again and they said they would send the driver back to where ever he dropped the package off to retrieve it. At 4PM, I found a note on my gate asking for the package back as it was mis-delivered to me, and needed to be re-delivered to me instead.

So now, my 1)Name, 2)Address, 3) Social Security Number, 4)Annual Salary, 5) Value of my house, 6) Amount in the bank, 7) Employer’s Name and number and my wife’s same information are currently adrift “somewhere” in Phoenix. Anything you would need to know to successfully take my identity is conveniently located in a bright yellow envelope with the words MORTGAGE DOCUMENTS neatly typed on the front.

I also discovered that credit reporting agencies run about a month behind. This means that there is no way to be “pro-active”, I can only wait and allow someone to destroy my good name for a month and try to clean up afterwards.

DHL’s final thoughts on the matter? “Well then, the package is lost, isn’t it?”

5 Comments:

Blogger Cuppa said...

Not me!!!!!

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! What a nightmare. Makes my stomach knot up just thinking about all that information floating around out there in a bright yellow envelope! Hope it is found and you can put your mind at ease before a whole month has to pass.

7:39 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And to think that I go as far as to shred envelopes that have my name on them.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Darius said...

This identity theft stuff can drive you crazy if you think about it. Using the SSN for non-govermental purposes was a disaster. We're all pretty much in the same boat - I mean, you think of all the theoretical possibilities given how much identifying info is "out there" in some form on everybody...

8:33 AM  
Blogger karla said...

Oh my! That's quite shocking about how delayed credit reporting agencies are! I mean, in an increasingly alarming age of identity theft, you'd think they'd get their beaurocracies straighted out a little better would you?

6:27 AM  
Blogger Endorendil said...

Unbelievable! One has to wonder, wouldn't it have been safer if they still used the good ol' US Postal Service to deliver these things?
I hope the package was eventually located?

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home