tales from the wayside

I started for telling short stories - then about the home remodel (not happening) - now ... just random outtakes and foolish assumptions.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Acting up (and not too well)

I seem to be somewhat buried in a rather delightful mess. I was volunteered to be part of the church Christmas play. I simply asked when the performance was and suddenly found myself with a rather large role in the production.

As with any play, the best that can be achieved is semi organized chaos. It’s been described as herding cats, though cats have slightly higher cognitive skill than actors and are easier to control.

Some of my fellow thespians are children, a couple small enough to look precocious in their coat hanger and gauze wings, and a few older boys who have found peer acceptance through the medium of flatulence.

Adults with better things to be doing on a Tuesday night mingle on the stage aimlessly, while straight backed vinyl covered chairs are hills and beds and even a manger.

We strut and stagger, mumble and talk so fast only humming birds are sure of what they have heard. The word “LINE” is called out more than the words written for the plot and we smack our heads and berate ourselves for not memorizing letter perfect.

In defiance of Shakespeare we saw the air with our hands and stutter and stagger and turn our backs to the audience. It is as unprofessional a production as I have ever been in, yet the tumult and the noise are fun and filled with life.

Once each week, I get to laugh and shake my head and roll my eyes and feel grateful I am not the director of this creative mob. What we lack in training and maybe even talent are more than made up in enthusiasm and a common bond to create something together.

So if the shepherds forget to fear a three year old angel with a pipe cleaner halo, or Joseph can’t remember where Bethlehem is, the production will still be a success. It’s the journey that matters after all is said and done, and the message that is carried in mumbled lines spoken out of sequence.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

There's much to be said for honest and enthusiastic amateurism.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Cuppa said...

Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark!

I am sure your play will float. Have fun!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home